Every great recipe starts with great ingredients.
Everyone knows that the best of those ingredients are fresh, local, and if possible straight from your garden!
It’s harvest season and with that comes a surplus of veggies like squash, onions and peppers. We thought we would help you out with an AWESOME fall recipe for:
Sausage and Quinoa stuffed Acorn Squash
Courtesy of Seth’s Amazing Girlfriend Elizabeth!
What you will need:
1 Cup Quinoa (cooked according to package)
3 Green Onions, diced
1 Cup Grape Tomatoes, cut in halves
1/2 Red Pepper, diced
2 Spicy Chicken Sausages, diced
3 TBSP. Fresh Mint, diced super fine
1/4 Cup Fresh Flat Leaf Parsley, diced super fine
1/2 Lemon, squeezed
1/2 Lime, Squeezed
1/2 Cup Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper to taste
Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
Parmesan cheese (Optional)
1 Acorn Squash, cut in half
1. Preheat Oven to 375°. Cut squash in half, and remove all seeds and strings. Place cut side down into a baking dish with one inch water. Bake 45min.
2. While squash is cooking, prepare quinoa according to package directions.
3. Wisk together olive oil, lemon, lime, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
4. In a large mixing bowl add green onions, tomatoes, red peppers, sausages and olive oil mixture to prepared quinoa. Mix well.
5. Remove squash from oven. Place in a dry baking dish, cut side up. Fill with quinoa mixture, and sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Place back into oven for 21 minutes, or until heated thoroughly.
6. Serve with love and enjoy 🙂
Gardener’s Note!: Some left over scraps can be replanted for future use! For example if you’re only using the green part of green onions, you can replant the bottoms!